Responsible for the overall management of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center (NTC) ITC including tennis programs, events, and tournaments; the hiring, training, assessment, evaluation and development of the ITC and NTC Staff; interface with facilities management; to be an industry leader; publicly representing the ideals of the USTA. Directly responsible for the day-to-day operational leadership of the department.
- Provide leadership and direction while coordinating all activities of the department in accordance with the goals and objectives of The National Tennis Center; safeguard and grow the assets of the organization. Develop and promote activities to drive participation.
- Work with NTC Finance to develop and administer the budget for program and event revenues and expenses.
- Work with the ITC/NTC Tennis Programs leadership team to develop marketing strategies for programs and event promotions. Develop programs and events that enhance the image of NTC. Ensure that all USTA initiatives are conducted at a high quality level at the NTC.
- Develop and work with Head Pro to supervise all lesson programming (clinics, small groups, and privates). Coordinate court bookings and lesson programming with programs office, front desk staff, Head Tennis Professional and Senior Business Manager.
- Collaborate with senior tennis programs staff at USTA National Campus with sister Properties in Orlando and California
- Establish clear lines of duties, responsibilities and resultant communications through the promulgation of organization charts.
- Work with the Head Tennis Professional and Senior Business Manager on hiring, assessing, evaluating and training all Tennis Professional/Tennis Programs staff. Ensuring the recruitment of appropriately skilled staff to open/vacant positions, and establishing appropriate remuneration levels and performance based conditions for staff.
- Responsible for implementing methodologies for building and maintaining a high performance culture through effective performance management, communication and coaching of staff. Provide clear and effective leadership which promotes and fosters a team culture consistent with the organization’s values.
- Develop training programs and educational requirements for teaching staff. Ensure certification of teaching staff with USPTA and PTR. Establish teaching staff protocol, policies and procedures regarding lesson/clinic quality standards.
- Develop a lesson program strategy to maximize indoor/outdoor court time efficiency.
- Create annual performance objectives for teaching staff, programs office staff, business coordinators, front desk staff. Effectively evaluate and assess employee resources, strengths and competencies; hold all staff accountable for meeting performance expectations.
- Establish and maintain critical customer-based relationship and cooperation with New York City, Borough of Queens, New York City Department of Parks, New York Junior Tennis League, USTA/Eastern, NYC Department of Education and other New York community based organizations (CBO’s).
- Maintain a close working relationship with national organizations, e.g., IHRSA, TIA, NRPA, ITA, NPPTA, ATA, NJTL, USPTA, PTR, etc.
- Proof of Vaccine required for position, pursuant to NYC Executive Order
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7-10 years of experience in the field of tennis education, preferably including a combination of teaching and management experience
- Tennis-teaching ability and extensive tennis background. Tennis-playing ability (with a history that includes being a ranked player preferably)
- USPTA and PTR certified
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and relationships
- Experienced presenter
- Planning, promotions and project management skills required as well as critical thinking and analytical abilities.
- Must possess demonstrated leadership skills, deep knowledge of tennis and instruction, a passion for education and community engagement.
- Highly competent computer skills
- Position is considered exempt