[REMOTE] Summer 2021 Project & Research Assistant
Root Solutions is seeking volunteers to join a team of visionaries, creators, and disruptors who want to re-shape the future of the environmental movement in North America and beyond. We believe that by applying the principles of behavioral science, conservationists can generate a quantum leap in environmental quality. We are currently looking for Project/Research Assistants to join our team. Although this is a volunteer position, you will be an active member of our team. You are vital to the success of programs that will transform the environmental movement and the planet.
Under the supervision of the Manager of Projects and Partnerships, the Project Managers, and the Executive Director, the Project/Research Assistant will play an active role in all of Root Solutions initiatives. Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Identifying organizations and individuals who would be interested in reviewing our upcoming book
- Assisting with client projects on topics such as transportation behavior and grant selection behavior
- Updating training materials to reflect the content of Root Solutions’ environmental behavioral design practitioner’s guide book (book will be published Sept. 2021)
- Drafting materials and presentations for submission to clients
- Developing content for our website and social media
- Creating content such as videos for social media and trainings
- Assisting with partnership and business development efforts
Qualifications/skills and knowledge requirements
- Ideal candidate is a graduate student or recent post-grad seeking experience in the intersection of environment + behavior. We will consider undergraduates with work experience or highly tailored coursework.
- Must have strong research and writing skills
- Must be well-organized, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- Must be able to adapt and to prioritize
- Must have the ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate initiative
- Must have access to a personal laptop equipped with Microsoft Office Suite
- We have several team activities throughout the summer, which include at least one field trip, behavior design training, or other professional development opportunity.
- We work hard to pair our volunteers with projects that are interesting to them or important for their career growth.
Root Solutions works to provide conservationists and policy makers with tools and resources informed by the proven methods of behavioral economics and behavior design, allowing them to create more effective campaigns, policies, and strategies that reflect how people are actually motivated and make decisions. By understanding human behavior, and the factors which influence the choices people make, conservationists will be able to “nudge” people toward decisions and behaviors that are good for them and good for the planet.
Location & Logistics
This position is 100% remote, therefore, candidates must have access to reliable internet to connect with us via Zoom. Volunteers must also have access to Microsoft Office Suite. This position is part-time. We generally ask for a commitment of at least 4 working days per week over a 10-week period, for a total of 280 hours. Ideal start date is late May (with an absolute latest start date of July 13th). We are happy to offer flexibility with your schedule and are open to any variants of days and hours that work best for you to complete 280 hours.
This is a volunteer position.
Interested applicants should submit a brief cover letter and resume to:
Senior Research Associate
Subject Heading: Summer Project/Research Assistant
Indicate whether you are able to work for class credit or note whether you will receive any work-study or grant money for this position.