Project/Research Assistant – Fall 2021
Root Solutions is seeking volunteers to join a team of visionaries, creators, and disruptors who want to re-shape the future of the environmental movement in North America and beyond. We believe that by applying the principles of behavioral science, conservationists can generate a quantum leap in environmental quality. We are currently looking for Project/Research Assistants to join our team. Although this is a volunteer position, you will be an active member of our team, and you are vital to the success of programs that will transform the environmental movement and the planet.
Under the supervision of the Manager of Projects and Partnerships, the Project Managers, and the Executive Director, the Project/Research Assistant will play an active role in all of Root Solutions initiatives. Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with client projects on topics such as grant selection behavior
- Researching philanthropic organizations and the types of grants they award
- Sitting in on interviews with philanthropic organizations as we work to learn more about their selection process
- Updating and developing training materials to reflect the content of Root Solutions’ environmental behavioral design practitioner’s guide book (book will be published Sept. 2021)
- are part-time students or post-grads seeking experience in the environmental field
- have strong research and writing skills
- are well-organized, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- are able to adapt and to prioritize
- meet deadlines and demonstrate initiative
- have interest in environmental behavior change
- Project/research assistants will gain experience working on applied behavioral science projects, and develop in-depth knowledge about behavioral principles and the campaigns/experiments that have employed them.
- We work hard to pair our volunteers with projects that are interesting to them or important for their career growth.
Root Solutions works to provide conservationists and policy makers with tools and resources informed by the proven methods of behavioral economics and behavior design, allowing them to create more effective campaigns, policies, and strategies that reflect how people are actually motivated and make decisions. By understanding human behavior, and the factors which influence the choices people make, conservationists will be able to “nudge” people toward decisions and behavior that are good for them and good for the planet.
Location & Logistics
This position is 100% remote, therefore, candidates must have access to reliable internet to connect with us via Zoom. Volunteers must also have access to Microsoft Office Suite. This position is part time–we are looking for volunteers who can work a minimum of 15-20 hours per week with at least some time available during regular business hours, Monday – Friday. We are happy to offer flexibility with scheduling for highly motivated candidates. We ask that volunteers commit to a minimum of 100 hours between now and November 2021.
Candidates that are looking for a longer-term volunteer opportunity and are available through November 2021 are preferred, but we will accept candidates available for shorter timelines.
This is a volunteer position.
Interested applicants should submit a brief cover letter and resume. Your cover letter and resume should convey your interest and qualifications for this specific role. Address application materials to:
Senior Research Associate
Subject Heading: Project/Research Assistant – Fall 2021
Please indicate whether you are planning to work for class credit or note whether you will receive any work-study or grant money for this position. Also indicate the number of hours you will be able to commit per week and whether you will be available during normal working hours.