Sound is an innovator of bio-inspired chemistry and plant genetics. We leverage natural plant diversity to grow crops more sustainably and create differentiated, nutritious food. Sound is a Series C startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture such as S2G Ventures, Fall Line Capital, Cultivian Sandbox Ventures, Cavallo Ventures and Syngenta Ventures.
We are seeking a motivated entry level molecular biologist. The primary responsibility of this role will be the planning and execution of molecular and plant experimental workflow. The successful candidate will join a fast-paced and multidisciplinary Discovery team. The position will be based in Emeryville, California.
Roles and responsibilities
- Take a hands-on role in the planning and execution of molecular and cellular characterization workflow in the Sound discovery platform
- Perform experimental design, setup, execution, and analysis
- Generate technical reports and share progress at internal and external meetings
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures
- Work with biology team and company leadership to develop novel concepts, compounds, and technologies that advance our strategic goals
- BS in molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or related fields
- Experience with enzyme assays, cloning, qPCR, protein and nucleic acid purification
- At least 1 – 2 yrs bench experience – industry experience preferred but applicants will also be considered from academic backgrounds (experience either from positions after completion of undergraduate studies – eg Masters program or research position, or candidates with sufficient wet-lab training and demonstration of independent research during their undergraduate studies)
- Familiarity with synthetic biology approaches for strain engineering
- Experience with plant biology, microbiology, or directed evolution a plus
- Strong problem solving and communication skills, ability to work in a team environment
Sound is based in Emeryville, CA and Research Triangle Park, NC, with a number of employees working remotely. We have a mission driven culture and a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. We are looking for someone to join the team who will bring a passion for sustainability along with a deep expertise in the business of food and agriculture.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.