Teaches, leads, and motivates participants through intentionally designed group fitness & wellness classes. CPR/AED and format specific certifications required.
- Strong knowledge of class format, proper exercise technique, and general fitness guidelines.
- Flexibility and willingness to teach at all Rec Centers during various class times slots.
- Current CPR/AED certification
- Current Fitness instructor certification.
- Prepare music and choreography/workout plan for assigned classes.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes prior to the start of class to set up class space, check stereo/mic, and answer any questions from participants prior to the start of class.
- Maintain order and cleanliness within the MPR which includes cleaning equipment and returning weights and accessories to storage areas.
- Perform as necessary all departmental established emergency action procedures.
- Provide patrons with information pertaining to the fitness centers and Rutgers Recreation including scheduling and relevant programming.
Skill Development Areas:
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving– (create/learn choreography and workout routines for classes, mediate conflicts, adapt to unexpected circumstances, help patrons with questions).
- Oral/Written Communication– (communicate clearly with patrons, coworkers and professional staff).
- Digital Technology– (operate all stereo/mic systems in all locations. Navigate increasing presence of technology/social media in virtual fitness).
- Leadership– (lead and motivate participants throughout fitness & wellness classes).
- Professionalism/Work Ethic– (model punctuality, attention to detail, serve as positive representation of Rutgers Recreation).
- Career Management– (be responsible for class-specific certifications, professional development and CPR/AED).
- Global/Intercultural Fluency– (display open mindedness, cultural sensitivity, and respect individuality).
- To be eligible for student employment, individuals must be currently enrolled at the University with full-time status (minimum 12 credits undergraduate, 9 credits graduate).
- Before applying, please prepare a resume (for assistance, see here.)