How have you impacted someone’s life today? At Meridian Health our nursing teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of nursing services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
Performs clinical laboratory tests to support patient care. Utilizes a variety of molecular techniques, instrumentation, and disciplines related to NGS and other molecular procedures. Performs laboratory quality control and assurance activities.
A Day in the Life of a Medical Technologist at Hackensack Meridian includes :
1. Performs a variety of laboratory techniques and utilizes analytic instrumentation, such as next genetic sequencing, real time PCR, extraction and fragment analysis.
2. Participates in evaluation of new laboratory processes and validation of these procedures.
3. Adheres to industry and government standards regarding safe handling of biohazardous and other hazardous materials.
4. Adheres to Clinical Laboratory regulations including CAP, CLIA and state regulations.
5. Performs calibration and maintenance of analytical instrumentation.
6. Maintains laboratory records, archives, assay protocols and sample or specimen repository sufficient to pass regulatory oversight including CAP and FDA.
7. Trains subordinate clinical laboratory scientists and laboratory associates when completion of training and competency is documented.
8. Produces accurate medical diagnostic test results according to established procedures. Monitors test results for unusual or absurd results. 9. Produces medical diagnostic test results in a timely and efficient manner. Appropriately prioritizes specimens. Consistently completes work within expected time frames for volume and patient mix. Seeks additional assignments when work is completed.
10. Performs and documents quality control according to established protocols. Make judgments concerning the results of quality control procedures and institutes proper measures to maintain accuracy and precision. Resolves QC discrepancies and documents corrective action. 11. Performs and documents troubleshooting and preventative maintenance of equipment according to established assignments, schedules, and protocols. Informs supervisor of equipment problems requiring special attention.
12. Organizes work effectively. Effectively communicates with co-workers and insures smooth transition during coverage of breaks and during shift change. Supports teamwork by assisting co-workers in other lab departments in meeting laboratory turn around times.
13. Utilizes equipment, time, supplies, phone, and other hospital resources in a cost effective manner. Notifies supervisor when supplies are low or lot number is changing.
14. Exercises sound judgment relating to patient care and laboratory operational issues. Recognizes test results or situations that should be brought to a supervisors attention. Attempts to independently solve problems before turning them over to a supervisor.
15. Correlates laboratory findings with disease processes. Integrates and relates data generated by various laboratory departments and makes judgment regarding possible discrepancies.
16. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
17. Adheres to HMH’s Organizational and Managerial competencies and standards of behavior.
18. Lifts a minimum of 5 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 5 lbs. and stands a minimum of 1 hours a day.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Bachelor’s degree in a natural sciences field.
2. Minimum of 3 years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. Molecular biology experience.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Clinical Laboratory Specialist (CLS).
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- ASCP certification in Molecular Biology.