Welcome to the International Students Community
Welcome to the International Students career community! Rutgers University prides itself in being an educational institution for students from locations worldwide, thus having international students as part of what enriches the academic community. While international students benefit from a Rutgers education, exploring career-building experiences outside of the classroom experience comes with specific methods for how to do so. This community will help international students explore career resources, job and internship opportunities, and connect with alumni mentors, all of which will help you path your way towards your career.
Career Exploration and Success (CES) provides career development and employment exploration opportunities for international students (specifically F-1 and J-1). In addition to various recruitment programs and workshops, some of which we gear specifically toward international students, we provide individual career advising. We also collaborate with Rutgers Global to ensure that our events and workshops address international students’ visa concerns and challenges.
CES recognizes that international students have a competitive advantage. International students bring tremendous value to any organization, so we strive to collaborate with companies and organizations that actively recruit international students in the United States and abroad.
Through this community, you will find industry resources, career advice, job/internship and networking opportunities, workshops, events, and advisors to help you strategize a plan to achieve your post-graduation goals.
This information will help you determine who to contact for assistance:
Career Exploration and Success
- How can I improve my resume and cover letter?
- How do I find a job/internship?
- How can I find an on-campus job?
- Which U.S. companies sponsor H-1b Visas?
- What major or career options are a good fit for me?
- How do I prepare for an American-style interview and practice my skills?
Rutgers Global – International Student and Scholar Services
- Am I eligible to work as an F-1 or J-1 student?
- How do I maintain my legal status in the US while holding an internship/job?
- What limitations are there for working on campus? Off-campus?
- What do employers need to know about hiring an international student as an intern?
- What about for full-time positions?
- Can I work part-time or full-time?
- Does it matter if the position is paid or unpaid?
- What is the difference between Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
International Student Resources: